The Webcomicker

Who watches the watchmen?

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

All I got for Christmas...

So, the "week between Christmas and New Years" malaise has set in. You know the feeling. When you've just had a big celebration, and you've got another one coming up, and you're probably off work so you really don't feel like doing ANYTHING. That's me.

But it has given me a lot of time for reading. And for Christmas I got plenty of stuff to read. First off, I got two collected volumes of Dandy and Company, which has forever proved to me that Lulu is a better printing service than Cafepress. Because the Dandy and Company books are from Cafepress and they're much grainier than the books I've gotten from Lulu in the past. So if you're a webcomicker looking to publish your stuff, I'd go with Lulu.

Next, I finally managed to secure myself a copy of Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics. And I've got to say, that book is rich. The theory of comics is packed in there SO densely, it's amazing. And also, somehow all these years it escaped my knowledge that Understanding Comics is a comic book itself, which is absolutely phenomenal. It's a great book.

I also managed to get some Homestar Runner DVDs (Someday I'll talk about Homestar Runner on this site. Someday.), and I picked up the first three volumes of a new manga series called Yotsuba&! (Yes I read manga. I have a life outside of webcomics). And I must say, Yotsuba& is quite possibly THE CUTEST THING I've ever read. If you like Count Your Sheep, go buy the first volume of Yotsuba&. You'll fall in love with it.

Oh, and one last thing. If Eric Burns keeps stealing my essays, I'm going to have to pop him in the nose.

Just kidding.

2 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny – I just got "Understanding Comics" recently as well. I quite agree; it's a great book.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Peter C. Hayward said...

Ooh. I had no idea that it was a comic book. Interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home