The Webcomicker

Who watches the watchmen?

Monday, September 19, 2005

Talk Like a Pirate Day Roundup

Well, it was another successful National (er, International!) Talk Like a Pirate Day. My roommate and I went out in our pirate costumes and walked the town, provoking many an odd stare and more than one heartfelt "Arrrrr..." in response. I spent the majority of the time recounting my experiences raiding ships in the Carribbean, with various and changing explanations of how I'd received my various pirate wounds.

A quick round of my daily checklist showed the following.
Strips which included a reference to Talk Like a Pirate Day in the strip (either subtle or oblique):
PvP
Dandy and Company
Questionable Content
MiSTEam (based on actual events!)

Artists who mentioned Talk Like a Pirate Day in their newsposts:
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Freefall
Websnark

That's pretty good coverage for a holiday that's only a decade old, and wasn't really introduced to the world proper until Dave Barry wrote a column in 2002 about the event. Quite frankly everyone should go read that column right now not only because it basically marked the official launch of the holiday, but also because it's way more funny than anything I could hope to write in a thousand years.

Until next time then. Pull anchor! There be treasure to be found on these briny seas!

5 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger Andrew Araki said...

I think you might want to turn on your word verification so you don't get comments like this.

I forgot to celebrate Talk Like a Pirate Day this year. Oh well.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Gilead Pellaeon said...

Good call. I was wondering if there was some way to stop the spam comments.

Thanks.

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, did a nice Talk Like a Pirate reference as well.

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Err, that is, Dominic Deegan did a reference.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Gilead Pellaeon said...

I saw that on Phil Kahn's blog, and thought it was pretty amusing :-)

Obviously I didn't find it myself because it's not one of the comics I read. But still, probably one of the best of the day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home