The Webcomicker

Who watches the watchmen?

Friday, October 21, 2005


Truth. Unabashed truth from Real Life Comics

No big long rant today, just an "Amen, brother" to Greg Dean over at Real Life comics. I totally love all the aspects of home design mentioned in Thursday's comic. But oddly enough, everything comic-Greg claims as hallmarks of 80s interior design are demonstrated in the Brady Bunch house, and that series aired from 1969 to 1974, so is he actually talking about 70s design? Or was home decoration so similar between the 80s and the 70s that you can't really tell the difference? Or is it that in the 70s that style of design was the "new thing" and it didn't really hit mass market until the 80s? I feel like I should do some research on this, but at the time of this writing both Google and the Wikipedia are DOWN (which is quite a feat... I suspect foul play), so that pretty much deep-sixes any potential research avenues I might have explored.

But the point is, I totally agree that the style of decorating described by Greg in this comic was the absolute epitome of home architectural goodness. In my opinion, the house the Brady Bunch lived in was the greatest piece of interior design masterwork the world has ever seen. The huge flagstone wall in the main room. The staircase with a wrought iron railing posts. The kitchen and tv room decorated almost entirely in wood paneling. THE INDOOR PLANTER WITH PLASTIC PLANTS. In a word, AWESOME. And what do you expect? The dad was an architect, after all. He should know how to pick them.

I've always loved that style of house. In fact, if I could get away with it, when I buy a house I'd like to decorate it all retro like that (heck it'd be cheap, I could buy all my furniture at the Salvation Army), but I doubt either my future wife or any contractor in his right mind would go for it, so that's sad.

But even sadder is this: I ALMOST got to live in an apartment this year that was a throwback to the eighties. If you don't believe me, check out these pictures I uploaded:

I mean, that place just screams of 70s-80s philosophy. It's even got the orange and brown floral print drapes with matching floral print DESK CHAIR. It doesn't get any better than that. Unfortunately, my roommate has three (count em, three) cats, and the apartment had a strict no animals policy. So now I'm stuck in a place with every wall painted good old sterile white. And we don't dare paint the walls, because we did that at our last place (giving them a nice two tone brown, definitely adding a lot to the apartment), and got slapped with a couple hundred dollars off our damage deposit. *Sigh*

Hopefully someday the pendulum of interior design will swing back to the styles of the 70s and 80s, and I will be a happy man. Until then, here's hoping!

2 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger E. Burns said...

Our (eighties) house had its kitchen redesigned in said eighties, and the folks put in orange formica counters. So I have to assume it was pretty common.

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Heather W said...

Hello mate nicce blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home