The Webcomicker

Who watches the watchmen?

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

This post is not about PvP. Really. It's not.

Freaky-looking Cole and Brent, from PvP.

So I'm having a little trouble adjusting my sleep schedule. I'm taking a morning class this summer which starts at 9 AM (and is a twenty minute walk from my apartment), but with the way CUSP is set up to release comics, I have to go in every night at 2 AM and run a script to put the comic "into production", so to speak. I could set that up to run on a cron job, but my web hosting doesn't give me that much access. And not to mention the fact that I've got to enter the OhNoRobot transcription every time I release a comic.

I know some people out there are perfectly fine with 5-6 hours of sleep a night, but not so much with me. I'm a bit tired. I may have to start taking afternoon naps until I get the comic releasing thing resolved.

So this post is going to be somewhat "stream of consciousness". I blame the tiredness.

First off, yesterday's (today's? Kurtz has been updating so late it's basically like he's uploading early for the next day) PvP features some rather scary looking head-on shots of Brent and Cole. I know some people criticize Scott Kurtz for only drawing his character from one angle, but in my opinion he's found an angle which really works for his characters and fits well with the tone of his strip in the three-quarter view. I know that makes it a bit more difficult to portray talking to the audience, but Brent and Cole in panel one just look downright freaky. Maybe it's just one of those things you've got to get used to. Kurtz is always saying he should develop his art some more, and I suppose I should encourage it.

Still. Freaky.

In other news, while I've been light on reading new stuff lately (I'm still working through the archive of Everything Jake. I haven't given up yet!) I did take some time last night and ripped through the archive of Radioactive Panda. It's some good stuff, and I'll definitely give it a full review when I have the energy and I'm caught up on my reviews (still in the queue: Toyzville and Banished).

In other other news, I know I just launched Birdsworth, but I'm not content to just sit on my laurels (since I don't have any yet), and there's going to be something exciting and new coming soon, hopefully next week. I don't want to give it away yet, but I will tell you that it involves The Walter Boyd Band.

Lastly, I don't think I announced this yet, but I will be in attendance at the San Diego Comicon again this year, for the full time (Wednesday night - Sunday), and definitely looking forward to actually meeting some webcomic types this year. I bought merchandise, attended panels, and got sketches last year, but I never got the chance to really talk to anybody, and I'm hoping to remedy that this year. So let me know if you're going to be there.

Oh, and I will be owning up my beer debts at the Comicon. So if I owe you a beer, you can be sure that I'll at least try to buy you one.

1 Comments:

At 4:44 AM, Blogger Mr K said...

incidentally- latest birdsworth- best yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home