The Webcomicker

Who watches the watchmen?

Monday, May 01, 2006

A Brief Note on Drama

So, if you haven't heard yet, there's been yet more tension between Tim Buckley and "the rest of webcomicdom", by which I mean Scott Kurtz. I wish I had more time to elaborate on this clash of egos, but I'm deeply embroiled in finals. If it's still going on about a week from now, I may say something more salient.

As it stands, I think you can read some viewpoints on the controversy in this forum thread. And I think the entire argument can be summed up in this single sentiment from that discussion: "there are worse webcomics than Ctrl+alt+del, but I dont think it's deserving of its popularity."

That pretty much sums up the attitude of Scott Kurtz and his merry band. Anytime Tim Buckley bashes anything, they'll come down on him because of this attitude they have. I don't care how much they may deny it. This is the underlying emotion which drives them. I'm not excusing Tim Buckley. I happen to disagree with him about the quality of Aaron William's work (The Spawn of Santa thing had me in stitches). But, quite frankly, he does have a right to express his opinion, and it seems there are a great deal of people who agree with him.

Obviously there are more complicated issues at hand here than I can address with a short post. But remember this: the shortfallings you see in others are most often a reflection of similar shortfallings in yourself. Why does Scott Kurtz get so mad when he sees Tim Buckley declaring Aaron William's work as undeserving? Because in it he sees Buckley accusing Williams of being essentially on the same level that Kurtz sees Buckley as being on.

There is no right or wrong here. There is only opinion. Never forget that.

3 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Myth said...

Well said.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the subject of the Kurtz/Timley feud: do you by any chance read "Radioactive Panda"? It was only recently pointed out to me by the Crossover Archive, but they're milking this "drama" for what it's worth - and doing a pretty good job of it in my opinion.

-Sili

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There can be right and wrong even among opinions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home