The Webcomicker

Who watches the watchmen?

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Filler... or so it would seem!!!


So, I've got a really great essay planned concerning Scott McCloud, but the crushing weight of classes and my inability to plan ahead for them has put me under the weighty gun of my advising professor, who would be completely within reason to fire me on the spot tomorrow when I confess to him my lack of progress. But I still want to post SOMETHING, because I really want to provide consistent content here at the Webcomicker, so people won't be clicking here and leaving disappointed. Of course, as per my mission statement, that something must relate to webcomics. Thus is the premise.

That being said, today's Penny Arcade made me laugh a lot harder than I've laughed at Penny Arcade in a long time. They got me in the second panel with the statute of limitations on movie spoilers, and then hit a home run on Gabe's last retort: "Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies."

And it's funny because we've all had this conversation with someone at some point. You'll be mentioning something offhand about a movie that everyone knows about, and that person will suddenly become moderately irate with you and reply, "Well, thanks for ruining it for me!" and you're like, "Huh? I just told you that Pinnochio becomes a real boy at the end of the movie. How long have you been living in your cave?" I think all of us wish we could come up with as witty of a rejoinder as Gabe does in the third panel, and thankfully, now we don't have to. We can steal his.

On a slight tangent, one of my most favorite things to do to people is ask them if they've seen the movie Memento, and if they haven't, reply "Well, he kills his friend in the end."

And if you've seen the movie, you'll know why that's funny.

7 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd cast my vote for "Bruce Willis is really dead" in the "What cave have you been hiding in?" category.

Knowing everything about where the story is supposed to end up is what killed most of the new Star Wars Trilogy for me. You have to know that Anakin becomes Darth Vader at the end. The rest is just cheesy dialogue. I wish Georges Lucas would have figured out a way to surprise us a bit more, like Soderbergh did in Ocean's Eleven. If you don't get that one, watch the original with Sinatra and then the remake to see how one can have fun changing endings.

I'm sad that I never thought of doing the memento thing though.

 
At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admit "The Sixth Sense" came out awhile ago (although not nearly so long ago as King Kong, or the Bible), but it was really cool watching the movie and not knowing that particular plot twist. Plus, I haven't seen anyone spoiling that one anywhere. (What cave have I been hiding in? School, I guess.)

"Jesus dies", though? Hilarious. Almost no-one who even knows English doesn't know that one, and that's why it works.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Andrew Araki said...

My favorite back when Return of the King came out was to tell everyone that hadn't read the books that Frodo fails to throw the ring in the volcano. They never believed me, even though it was true.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger tedzsee said...

the thing about that one is... I did read the books. Twice. But they were so long and full of other stuff that I can't even remember what happens at the end.

In fact, I have no idea if Andrew is telling the truth or joking right now.

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember at the end of The Two Towers my girlfriend asked me, "You read the books! What happens to Frodo?"

And I said, "Do you REALLY want me to spoil the ending for you?"

Then she thought about it and said, "No. I'll wait a year."

Nothing meaningful in this anecdote, but I thought i'd bring it up.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Andrew Araki said...

Of course I'm telling the truth. Frodo makes it all the way to the edge of the cliff, but refuses to throw it in.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger tedzsee said...

yes yes! and then gollum tries to take the ring. it's all coming back to me now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home