The Webcomicker

Who watches the watchmen?

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Yeah, yeah, shut up already.


The ComicSpace logo, from ComicSpace.

I'm really not a big fan of social networking sites. In all honesty, to me it seems they serve no purpose beyond letting people recreate their high school cliques in an online format, where all anyone's worried about is getting into another person's "top 8 friends" or whatever. I've never really cared about stuff like that. Online social networking is just so cheap, in my opinion. Heck, it took me a long time to get into blogs, until I realized that people were using them to post interesting criticism and debate and not just "Today I drank two glasses of orange juice... Hyuk."

That being said, I've created an account for myself on ComicSpace, the new "MySpace for webcomics". Why? Well, first off it's because I wanted to park my name there. I like to park my name on most popular sites just so that some yahoo can't go around ruining my reputation. But secondly, it's because it looks like ComicSpace is going to be much more than just a social networking site. It's going to have tools for tracking your webcomics (although I've always preferred Piperka to OnlineComics.net), and even the ability to add your own comics (and I'm guessing with that, the ability to subscribe to the comics of others).

So it's not just a social networking site, it's also a site full of webcomics tools. And that sort of thing is right up my alley. So I'm signed up, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. You can even request to be my friend, if you like, although I can't promise I won't be curmudgeonly about it at times.

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed, I've gone back to using images of "the old man of the Empire" for my avatars. I figured you guys were sick of seeing my boring face. Besides, I particularly liked the one I've got on the blog now, which shows me as an angry old man, which is how I feel when I type here sometimes.

5 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what are these 'webcomic tools' that the site is full of?

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Gilead Pellaeon said...

Well, in the works are comic tracking tools and comic hosting tools. Once those exist I'm sure it will be easy to expand those for sharing and commenting on comics, seeing who's reading what, etc.

I could see them encorporating a lot of features that Piperka already has in place. Those two guys should really get together and combine their resources. It could produce something truly amazing.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Gilead Pellaeon said...

Ehhh... Here we go. I'm already getting random friend requests from people I've never heard of.

Do I snub them? Some of them seem like interesting people... are they just trying to get their friend number up, like some kind of ego trip? Or are they silent readers of my blog who think I'm cool? Will there be vicious rumors going around that I'm a jerk if I don't "befriend" them?

Ehh, it's only been half a day and I'm already annoyed with it. Let the curmudgeoning begin.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Myth said...

No, seriously, I was pondering the same exact thing. I'm thinking I'll let sit for a few days any that I don't recognize, and then see if they've got 900 friends already or not.

But yeah, I'm completely out of my depth as far as 'proper procedure' here.

 
At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the trick to this thing innit?

Who likes you or your work, and who's just into collecting names?

I add fake internet friends as they come because it doesn't really matter if they are looking to collect names. Not my bandwidth being used up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home